Skip to main content


In the event of a fire in rental housing, you as a tenant are usually responsible for the consequences and will be responsible for compensation for damages. If you as a student are not insured, this could be disastrous. The property owner's fire insurer may possibly charge the costs to you. As a student living in student housing, you must therefore ensure you are properly insured.

What must the insurance cover?
• tenant's liability (= damage to the landlord's property)
• third party claims (= harm to others, e.g. roommates and/or neighbours)
• personal effects (= damage to your personal belongings)

How to insure?

Option 1: via the landlord (model lease from Kotweb).
'liability waiver' The landlord can include a 'liability waiver' clause in his fire insurance policy up to and including the current academic year. However, the major drawback of this option is that the 'waiver' clause only applies to the relationship between the tenant and landlord. You can be still be held liable for damage to third parties (neighbours or roommates).
'borne by the tenant'The landlord can also include a special 'borne by the tenant' extension in his policy. You are then included as an insured person in the landlord's policy. In that case, you are also insured against third party claims. This option is therefore preferred over the 'liability waiver' clause because you then have optimal protection.

The landlord can include the additional cost of this, in whole or in part, in your contract.

You must then only take out a supplementary insurance which covers damage to your personal property, unless your parents' fire insurance covers this risk. Because each student pays their share of the additional cost, this method of insurance is ultimately cheaper than having to take out private insurance.

Option 2: the student takes out private insurance that provides full coverage.

Option 3: through your parents' fire insurance policy 
Some fire insurance policies also include standard tenant liability for student children in their general conditions . Generally, third party claims are also covered. The risk of damage to your personal property may also be covered under the 'temporary and partial movement of the contents' guarantee.

Unfortunately, not all companies offer these coverages. If you are not or are insufficiently insured by your parents' fire insurance, it is better to take out a separate or supplemental insurance by contacting an insurer personally.